Environmental Benefits of Cycling
- You contribute nothing to air pollution as you emit no greenhouse gases through cycling.
- The average cost of buying and maintaining a cycle is about 1% of the cost of purchasing and maintaining a car, so ultimately, you don’t contribute to the dumping of waste vehicle parts that require dismantling or recycling.
- Cycling does not require big and wide road lanes or big parking spaces, so left spaces can be used for plantations or other activities.
- Adopting cycling as your way of commuting will help reduce noise pollution and congestion on roads as well.
- 290 gigagrams (Gg) of PM2.5 emitted by vehicles in India running on fossil fuels can cut significantly with the adoption cycles as the mode of transport